Within the big wide world of technology, we hear the term ‘Qi’ quite a lot when it comes to buying a wireless charger or a new phone. So, what is Qi?
Qi (pronounced chee) is the leading wireless charging standard which is currently being adopted into almost all major phone manufacturers. There are other standards for wireless charging such as PMA, but Qi has reigned superior and has proved to be the leader when it comes to your wireless charging needs. Qi was first introduced to the world in 2010. Whilst Android jumped on the bandwagon pretty early from 2012, Apple however didn’t join them until the iPhone 8 in 2017. Now as of 2020, you’ll struggle to find a device that isn’t Qi enabled. Amen to that!
How does wireless charging work?
Wireless charging allows you to charge a device, like your smartphone, watch or even ear pods without the use of a charging cable. The concept, known as inductive charging, allows electricity to be transmitted through the air by means of a magnetic field. A transmitter such as CHARGit’s wireless charging pad creates an oscillating magnetic field with a receiver such as your phone or Apple Watch. The receiver gathers current through a special antenna, which can then be stored in the device's battery.
We talk about everything you need to know about wireless charging speeds as well as which cables & wall sockets you need in a little more detail in some of our other blogs which you can catch up on here.
How do I know if my device has Qi capabilities?
Like we mentioned above, most devices are now Qi compatible, whether your preference is Android or iPhone. Just to make sure, here’s a full list of Qi compatible devices: (published Dec 2020, to see the latest compatible devices please check our compatibility checker)
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE, iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, Airpods 2nd Gen
- Asus PadFone S
- BlackBerry Passport, BlackBerry PRIV, BlackBerry Z30
- CASIO G’z One Commando
- Cat S50, Cat S50C
- Dewalt MD501, Dewalt MIL810G
- Energy Phone Pro Qi
- Fujitsu Arrows F-09D, Fujitsu Arrows Kiss F-03D, Fujitsu Arrows Kiss F-03E, Fujitsu Arrows X F-10D
- Google Nexus 4, Google Nexus 5, Google Nexus 6, Google Pixel 3, Google Pixel 3 XL, Google Pixel 4, Google Pixel 4 XL, Google Pixel 5
- HP Elite X3
- HTC Droid DNA, HTC Windows Phone 8X
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Huawei Mate RS Porsche Design, Huawei P30 Pro, Huawei Mate 30, Huawei Mate 30 Pro, Huawei P40 Pro
- Kyocera Brigadier, Kyocera Dura Force, Kyocera Hydro Elite, Kyocera Torque G02, Kyocera Torque KC-S701, Kyocera Urbano L01, Kyocera Urbano L03, Kyocera E6910
- LG G2, LG G3, LG G6 ¹, LG G6 Plus ¹, LG G7, LG G7 ThinQ, LG Lucid 2, LG Lucid 3, LG Optimus F5, LG Optimus G Pro, LG Optimus It L-05E, LG Spectrum 2, LG Vu 2, LG Vu 3, LG V30, LG V30 Plus, LG V40 ThinQ, LG V50 ThinQ, LG V60 ThinQ
- M.T.T. Master 4G
- Meizu Zero
- Microsoft Lumia 950, Microsoft Lumia 950 Dual Sim, Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, Microsoft Lumia 950 XL Dual Sim
- Mlais MX69W
- Motorola Droid Maxx, Motorola Droid Mini, Motorola Droid Turbo, Motorola Droid Turbo 2, Motorola Moto Maxx, Motorola Moto X Force, Motorola Edge+
- mPhone 8
- NEC Medias PP N-01D, NEC Medias X N-04E
- Noa F10 Pro
- Nokia Lumia 1520, Nokia Lumia 735, Nokia Lumia 830, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 928, Nokia Lumia 929 (Icon), Nokia Lumia 930, Nokia 8 Sirocco, Nokia 9 PureView
- OnePlus 8 Pro
- Oukitel U23
- Panasonic Eluga P P-03E, Panasonic Eluga V P-06D, Panasonic Eluga X P-02E, Panasonic Eluga X1, Panasonic Eluga X1 Pro
- Philips X723
- Razor Phone 2
- RugGear RG730
- Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy S6 Active, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Galaxy S7 Active, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Galaxy S8, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active, Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Samsung Galaxy S9, Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S10e, Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note 10, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S20, Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra (5G), Samsung Galaxy Note 20, Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Samsung Galaxy Fold, Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip, Samsung Leader 8, Samsung W2016. Galaxy Wireless BUDS
- Saygus V SQUARED
- Sharp Aquos EX SH-04E, Sharp Aquos SH-07D, Sharp Aquos SH-13C, Sharp Aquos Slider SH-02D, Sharp Aquos Zeta SH-06E, Sharp Aquos Zeta SH-09D, Sharp Q-Pot SH-04D, Sharp SH-05D
- Sony Xperia Z3V, Sony Xperia Z4V, Sony Xperia XZ2, Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium, Sony Xperia XZ3
- Techdy Basic Bear, Techdy Bear Pro
- Vertu Aster, Vertu Signature Touch
- Mi MIX 2S, Mi MIX 3, Mi 9, Mi 10, Mi 10 Pro
- Yotaphone 2
- ZTE Telstra Tough Max, ZTE Axon 9 Pro
Now that you know your device is compatible with Qi and therefore has wireless charging capabilities, you can think about finding your perfect wireless charger to go with it. Whether you’re after a simple design for your bedside table, a wireless charging pad for multiple devices or something to pop into your car for added ease. We at CHARGit have you covered with the fastest speeds and sleekest designs, click here to shop our full range.